We often take our bodies for granted. According to some doctors and scientists, the human body is one of the most remarkable machines ever created. If you do not believe, then read on further to know about some weird facts about the human body.
Weird Facts About The Human Body
- When you brush your teeth too aggressively, you can wear down the enamel on your teeth and make it sensitive to hot and cold food. Our teeth have a protective enamel coating that makes them insensitive to the temperature of the food.
- Goosebumps evolved in the human body since prehistoric times. Their leading cause was to make them appear frightening to predators.
- There is no purpose of the wisdom teeth. They initially evolved in the body of the primitive man. But today, they are just leftovers and have no actual use. As the brains of human beings got more prominent, the space of the mouth reduced, and this resulted in crowding the third set of molars known as the wisdom teeth.
- It is still not clear why human beings yawn. They believe it helps to regulate body temperature.
- The fingernails on your body stop growing once the person is dead.
- If laid end to end, all the blood vessels in a human body can encircle the Earth four times.
- We are the only bodies on the planet with chins.
- The nostrils take turns in breathing in and out. Most of the air goes out and in only one nostril and then the workload shifts to the other.
- Eight percent of the total body weight is blood.
- The human nose can notice around one trillion smells.
- The human body needs only one kidney to survive.
- There is hair growing inside the belly button only to catch lint.
- The sound you get when you crack your knuckles is coming from the gas bubbles that burst in your joints.
- Thumbs have a different pulse.
- The largest organ of the body is skin. It makes up 15 percent of the total body weight of the human body.
- The human tongue is made up of eight muscles interwoven together. These are similar in structure to an elephant’s trunk.
- The genes of all human beings are 99 percent identical.
- The most ticklish part of the body is the foot.
- The fastest muscles in the body are the extraocular muscles of the eyes that allow both eyes to flick in the same direction in a millisecond.
- A surgical procedure known as selective amygdalohippocampectomy removes a major portion of the brain’s amygdala. It also removes the patient’s sense of fear.
- Blushing occurs as a result of the rush of adrenaline in the body.
- The human hair grows at a rate of 6 inches per year. It is second fasted to the bone marrow.
- Melatonin secreted by the pineal gland gets its name from its shape, resembling a pine nut.
These are some of the weird facts about the human body.